Sunday, August 26, 2007

My First

Well, they say that you always remember your first. I certainly will. For some reason my computer restarted mid-account-creation, and then I received all sorts of errors and complications. Hopefully it is all fixed now. Aside from technical drama, this foray into the bloggosphere is also steeped in irony. I have my students complete a project where they research some new science or technology and present it to the class. This last Thursday a student did an excellent presentation on social networking sites, such as facebook and myspace, blogs, podcasts and the like. Naturally the rest of the class wanted to know if I had any of these accounts. My response: Of course not! I am a respected teacher. There is a very clear line written in black sharpie marker between my teacher self and my every-other-roll self. When you introduce thoughts and feelings then shades of grey start to appear. I do (did?) not want to make myself so vulnerable. My classroom authority might start to change or even weaken.

Little did I know that my professional development assignment for this week would be to create a blog. I just can't wait for class tomorrow....

5 Comments:

At August 26, 2007 at 4:58 PM , Blogger A.. English said...

I agree with your thoughts about having feelings included in your blog. I guess they are thinking that if we are telling the kids about our blogging, then we strictly tell them about our school blog. However, if we keep our stuff "searchable", can't they find our personal stuff anyways?

 
At August 27, 2007 at 6:46 AM , Blogger The nanny said...

I love to read your thoughts! You are such a great writer!
It's my first time blogging too!
So, bare with me, I am not sure how this all works.

 
At August 27, 2007 at 7:10 PM , Blogger Ann said...

I think you did a great job with your blog! I have read other people's blogs for a while now, but had not created one myself. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I think we should have a feeling of accomplishment

 
At August 28, 2007 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Mrs. Mercer said...

It always makes me feel old when a student knows all about new technology like facebooks, and I am left wondering about what it is. This is my first time blogging, although it is different it is still fun at the same time

 
At September 4, 2007 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm appreciative of the positive attitude that you have towards this project. I don't think that anyone is entirely comfortable with working on the computers with such an open format. good for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home