Monday, September 24, 2007

Super KWLs

Wikis sound like the ultimate KWL chart. Imagine a self guided unit in which plugged-in, motivated, capable students pick a topic, generate a list of what they know and what to know. The learning part comes in as they collaboratively correct and elaborate on what they know and answer their own questions. Many topics could even progress concurrently. As soon as I have a class full of these students, I'll get them started and then sit back and simply monitor.

In the mean time, I think wikis are great for group projects. So many of my kids are in different sports, extracurricular activities and have jobs that they have difficulty finding common time to work together. Next time I have a significant group project, I am going to provide and require that they use a wiki to communicate, document and develop their project. Anyone can work at any time and instantly know what the others have done/are doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home