Monday, September 24, 2007

End of the Ride

Well, my crash course in Web 2.0 is over, and I am still bleary eyed and sea sick from the ride. Blogs, Agrigators, Wikis, Podcasts and virtual social networks have resulted in a del.icio.us mess.
I used to think I was techno-savvy, but now I realize that the internet is growing exponetially and I had better check back in more often to keep up. Here's how my teaching practices have/will change:

I"ll continue to use my RSS feeds to keep me up to date on all the latest in science and technology. This will help me in general in my class, but also provide needed current events for my kid's projects.

I'll implement more video clips into my lessons, because that is just way more interesting than me. And easier than trying to model dynamic 3-D examples with my expo's on the white board.

I'll also try to have a video project where my kids shoot video.

Next semester I am going to do a bookblog where kids have to do a bookreport blog style. RSS feeds will make that much easier to grade.

For significant group assignments, I'm going to require a wiki to chronicle group participation and progress.

Shortcomings:
My own personal lack of understanding.
Shortage of equipment at school.
Lack of access at my student's homes.


I'll be sure to document my 'experiments' here, so check back often. Or rather, add me to your feeds and have it automatically tell you when updates are made so that you don't have to remember....

2 Comments:

At September 25, 2007 at 8:53 PM , Blogger butterball said...

I'm impressed with your blog and your progressive comments as you worked your way through this inservice. You express yourself well. I could relate and agree with alot of your comments. Looking back I've learned alot but getting to this point has been painful. I learned how much I do not know.

 
At September 25, 2007 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Ann said...

I am impressed with the goals you have for continuing with the knowledge you have gained from this class. I like your ideas for using video clips, having your kids make videos, doing a bookblog, using wikis in group assignments and using RSS feeds to keep up-to-date in your field and for keeping up with posts on the students' blogs.

I also share the same shortcomings that you have expressed. As we get in there and actually use this web 2.0 technology with our students, hopefully everything will become clearer to us.
~~Ann Nored

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home